Week 9: Sat Oct 31 – Fri Nov 6
- Your dam, may appear restless, and will be uncomfortable, and stretch out a lot.
- She may express milk from her nipples.
- Start taking rectal temperatures. Normal is 99.5 to 101. A drop to 97 – 98 on two readings an hour apart will mean the start of pre-labor.
- She will be ‘nesting’ 12-24 hours before the birth
- Expected date of whelp. Average is 63 days but may take place from the 58th to the 68th day.
- Keep watching for temp drop.
- Appetite will disappear as whelping approaches.
- May see a clear discharge from the vulva.
- At onset of labor may pace, dig, shiver, pant and/or vomit.
- First fetus will be delivered within 4 hours of the onset of labor.
*Pregnancy Calendar thanks to Dogbreedinfo.com and www.maplesprings.com
Reign is doing great. She is choosing to spend more time in her room. Most of the hair on her tummy has fallen out. I can feel movement and at this time I am guessing litter size will be the same as previous sizes.
I will spend this last week prepping food for her. Making bone broth and yogurt and pumpkin cubes. I have goats milk on hand for making my girl’s favorite mother’s pudding. I will also being doing one last round of disinfecting and cleaning before pups due date.